Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bambino Academy: On The Shelves This Week

I can't believe it has literally been months since I put up a Bambino Academy post! I'll be honest and say that there is a huge part of me that has moved away from all of this focus on our toddlers as I feel that it just puts far too much undue pressure on mums (homeschool blogging mums in particular) to perform and to keep up with all of the fabulous activities that we all see circulating around the blogosphere, as opposed to keeping the focus on the toddler.

I know that at least in our home, our toddler receives all that he needs without me having to spend time planning, setting up and organising a myriad of activities, even though I can see and value their importance.

The number one reason I will continue this year is because this is his 'school' and whilst he isn't really satisified at that (he just wants to do school with the big kids) it will have to do for now. It keeps him busy and entertained for at least a portion of our day so that I have some time to focus on the other two.


~ C is 31 months ~

The above image shows what the shelves looked like on the first day this week, some of the activities did get rotated. If all goes well this shelf will keep him entertained for about an hour with very little input from me (taking the lid off the glue, filling his water tray for painting).

I am still finding my groove for the year with the bigger two, so in all honesty not a great deal of thought was put into the activities, on the shelves this week.


He got this Klutz Magic Painting Book for Christmas, which in my opinion, isn't the best value for money. None the less it is a simple and relatively non messy way of painting.


Gluing of any description is always a winner. This time, left over chocolate wrappers. 


He has been intrigued by cutting for some time and I finally put together a basket of cutting strips to help him conquer this skill. At this stage they are just plain strips, we'll work up to having him cut on lines etc.


Thanks playschool for this idea, he loved it. Pushing colourful feathers into a metal sieve.


And of course it made a great hat! (oops sorry eyes closed shot)


C also enjoys pouring of any kind.


Threading bears, I was encouraging him to match colours but he wasn't into that.


He spent a great deal of time watching K working with these beans and wanted a turn, so this was a completely self directed activity, I simply gave him the tray to keep all of the bits on.


It's been super hot here this past week and we've lived in the pool. Aren't they one of those things that you can live without for years but when you have one you just don't know how you ever made it through summers without it!

A spot more painting after some cooling off in the sparkling blue water.

This post is linked to:








7 comments:

Debbie said...

I totally relate to this post--especially what you said about feeling pressured to keep up with all the fabulous activities and yet needing to keep our tots busy and entertained so we can focus on the older kids who are school age. I often end up just randomly giving Gabriela unplanned activities to keep her busy so I can focus on the other two. After all, they HAVE to do school, and she doesn't. At the same time, I do love planning out the tot trays when I do have time. I wish I had known about all these activities when my others were toddlers. Since I'm not planning to have any more kids, I almost feel like this is my last chance to do all these fun toddler activities and that I'll regret it if I don't. So maybe it's more for my sake than hers, although she definitely likes it when I have stuff planned for her. She wants to be part of our school time and recognizes her trays. If I don't give her something to do, I end up putting her in front of a movie. So in the end, I just do as much as I can, and if there are weeks I can't, then we just wing it. Sometimes my oldest even comes up with ideas for her! Anyway, I appreciate your post--it reminds me that I don't have to beat myself up if I have a week where nothing gets planned for my tot. Your activities look great for not putting a lot of thought into them. Oh, and I love the feather "hat" by the way!

Jenny said...

I get what you mean about keeping up. I see all of the toddler posts and wish I would have done that with my daughter. However, I didn't and she's almost 7. LOL!

Great activities!

The Homeschool Den said...

Oh my goodness, I too can relate to what you and Debbie were saying. Compared to what is out there for toddlers, we do very little! ED is so happy with her puzzles, games and sorting through math manipulatives (and the million other things she does in a day!!). I have things in her workbox to pull out when we're all sitting playing games, but am no creative genius when it comes to tot activities these days! I love the shelves you have set up for C.
By the way, I'd love to have a private email chat with you about (LD's) writing if you'd be up to it. I'm at thehomeschoolden at yahoo.com ~Liesl

Kylie said...

Thanks for your thoughts Debbie and I am with you on the last chance to do things like this.

Hi Liesl, would love to and have emailed you. :-)

Elle Belles Bows said...

I love your organization and the accessibility that your child has too!

Great works! I believe that as long as you are happy with what you do in your own home that it doesn't really matter what others are doing.

Thanks for sharing!

Kerri

Anonymous said...

What a little dude!! I cant believe he is 3 (well almost) already. Looks like he is having a ball. xx

Common Sense Mummy said...

I love this! My toddler is only 15 months but I spent yesterday sorting out some shelves in the playroom for her. Can I ask where you got your little plastic trays? :)

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a lovely comment :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs